Develop stylistic approaches, spatial design skills, and industry knowledge as you build your career as an interior designer in this certificate program from Otis Extension. Interior designers use in-depth processes such as drafting, space planning, 3D modeling, lighting design, surface material, furniture selection, and more to create finished spaces enjoyed by visitors.
After completing the certificate program, you will be prepared for entry-level positions such as interior designer or decorator. Learn from experienced professionals and artists, connect with a network of creatives, and receive career support, including career counseling, career assessment, internship advising, and employer networking opportunities. Ultimately, you will create a professional-quality portfolio demonstrating conceptual, design, and technical proficiency for designing a range of residential, commercial, and public spaces.
What you will learn:
- Art and design fundamentals, including drawing, composition, color theory, and 2D and 3D design
- Design strategies for residential, commercial, and public spaces using color, light, space planning, themes, and furnishings
- Production considerations for materials used within interior architecture
- Drafting methods, techniques, and their applications
- Industry-standard tools, including AutoCad, Sketchup, and more
- Professional practices relevant to an interior design career and portfolio development
Prospective Student Resources
- Attend an Info Session for certificate details and a registration discount
- View a course planning document to learn more about course sequence and timelines
- Submit materials to waive a required course
- Chat with us during drop-in hours: Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Schedule an appointment with an Extension Advisor
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Approximate Course Cost: $505*
- Total Number of Courses: 18
- Estimated Total Tuition: $9,090**
*Cost after certificate tuition discount. Upon submitting the certificate application and fee, students qualify for a 15% tuition discount per course at the time of enrollment.
**Cost after certificate tuition discount. Courses are individually priced. Tuition and course fees are paid at the time of enrollment in each course. Total tuition is not paid in advance or in a lump sum.
Eligibility and Requirements
Students must be 18 years of age to enroll. No portfolio or prior experience is required.
Individuals interested in this certificate program can take up to two courses before committing to the program. Before beginning their third course, students are required to submit a Certificate Program Enrollment Application with a non-refundable $185 application fee.
Students are notified of their certificate application results three times per year according to the following dates:
- Between 12/15/22 - 2/11/23 for Spring 2023 start
- Between 4/6/23 - 6/3/23 for Summer 2023 start
- Between 8/3/23 - 9/23/23 for Fall 2023 start
Click below to apply now!