Learn how to apply design, creativity, drawing, development, and object creation to a career in product design with this certificate program at Otis Extension. Through coursework you will develop a foundation in the aesthetic, conceptual, technical, research, and business approaches necessary to design for a range of products, including toys, home decor, fine arts, furniture, and shoes.
After completing the program, you will be prepared to begin a career or enhance your skills in the field of product design. Learn from experienced professionals and artists, connect with a network of creatives, and receive career support, including career counseling, career assessment, internship advising, and employer networking opportunities. Ultimately, you will create a professional-quality portfolio demonstrating conceptual, design, and technical proficiency for entry-level positions in the product design industry.
What you will learn:
- Art and design fundamentals, including drawing, 2D design, 3D design, and digital design
- Design process including concept development, problem-solving, drawing, prototyping, and model making
- Effectively developing original ideas through design and visual storytelling
- Industry standard 3D modeling tools and workflows
- Product design for hard and soft goods
- How to apply your skills and knowledge to successfully gain employment
- Industry-standard tools, including Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup, Rhino 3D, Solidworks, and more
- Professional practices relevant to a product design career and portfolio development
Prospective Student Resources
- View a course planning document to learn more about course sequence and timelines
- Chat with us during drop-in hours: Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Schedule an appointment with an Extension Advisor
- Approximate Course Cost: $505*
- Total Number of Courses: 9 (without prerequisites) / 14 (with prerequisites)
- Estimated Total Tuition: $4,545** (without prerequisites) / $7,070** (with prerequisites)
*Courses are individually priced. Upon submitting the certificate application and fee, students qualify for a 15% tuition discount per course at the time of enrollment.
**Cost after certificate tuition discount. Tuition and course fees are paid at the time of enrollment in each course. Total tuition is not paid in advance or in a lump sum.
Eligibility and Requirements
Students must be 18 years of age to enroll. No portfolio or prior experience is required.
Individuals interested in this certificate program can take up to two courses before committing to the program. Before beginning their third course, students are required to submit a Certificate Program Enrollment Application with a non-refundable $185 application fee.
Applicants will be notified of their enrollment status within one week of submitting their application. Click below to apply now!