In the Surface Design Certificate Program at Otis Extension you will create and develop prints and patterns that become the foundation for collections and product designs used across fashion, home décor, interior spaces, and more. The field of surface design spans multiple industries, including textiles and fabric, fashion apparel, home furnishings, wall and floor coverings, decorative papers, and a broad spectrum of products we use every day.
After completing the program, you will be prepared to begin a career or enhance your skills in the textile and surface design fields as a colorist, repeat artist, designer, or stylist. Learn from experienced professionals and artists, connect with a network of creatives, and receive career support, including career counseling, career assessment, internship advising, and employer networking opportunities. Ultimately, you will create a professional-quality portfolio demonstrating conceptual, design, and technical proficiency for a career in the surface design, fashion design, product design, and graphic design industries.
What you will learn:
- The process of designing and executing prints and patterns, including how to complete a collection
- Design methodologies, themes, and product areas central to surface and textile design
- Traditional and digital design methods
- Production techniques using color, sizing, and specification standards
- Business practices, including resume preparation, building a portfolio and website, marketing, revenue models, manufacturers, contracts, and copyrights
- Industry-standard tools, including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and more
Prospective Student Resources
- Attend an Info Session for certificate details and a registration discount
- View a course planning document to learn more about course sequence and timelines
- Chat with us during drop-in hours: Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Schedule an appointment with an Extension Advisor
- Approximate Course Cost: $505*
- Total Number of Courses: 9
- Estimated Total Tuition: $4,545**
*Cost after certificate tuition discount. Upon submitting the certificate application and fee, students qualify for a 15% tuition discount per course at the time of enrollment.
**Cost after certificate tuition discount. Courses are individually priced. Tuition and course fees are paid at the time of enrollment in each course. Total tuition is not paid in advance or in a lump sum.
Eligibility and Requirements
Students must be 18 years of age to enroll. No portfolio or prior experience is required.
Individuals interested in this certificate program can take up to two courses before committing to the program. Before beginning their third course, students are required to submit a Certificate Program Enrollment Application and a non-refundable $185 application fee.
Applicants will be notified of their enrollment status within one week of submitting their application. Click below to apply now!